Since yesterday was May the Fourth Be With You, I’m guessing that today is technically The Revenge of the Fifth…right? An auspicious day to begin this endeavor.
- STRENGTH – I need to get my butt to the gym this evening and first hit the weights. I’ll spend about 30 minutes lifting, focusing on my upper body strength. I want to try to burn out my chest and arms through rapid fire sets. I’m not going to take much time in between sets at all to catch my breath. This is going to suck.
- RUN – I’ll hop right on to a dredmill after lifting, and I’ll do some interval training this evening. One minute on and one minute off. Going to shoot for 30 minutes and going to gun for about 3 miles. The goal here is to fatigue my legs and upper body before hopping on the bike and pushing the pace a bit. I want to make myself tired before being required to step things up a bit.
- BIKE – 6:30pm Spin Class. the goal here is to clip off at least 20 miles in an hour. IRONMAN requires a 112 mile bike ride that athletes normally have about 8 hours to complete. This means that athletes need to hold a 14mph average for the duration of the ride, and that’s after a 2.4 swim has sucked a bunch of energy out of them. Hopefully, lifting before the class will burn my arms out a bit and the intervals will sap some energy from my legs. Then we’ll see how I do on the bike.
- RUN – I’ll hop off the bike and I’ll do a simple “BRICK” workout, which means that I’ll transition as quickly I can to running by hopping back on the dreadmill for a messy 2 miles before calling it a night.
All in all, tonight’s workout should take me about 2 hours and 10-15 minutes to complete. My running times should truly suck. And I should basically feel like mush when I’m through.
- STRENGTH – Burned my arms out. Big time. Mission accomplished. At one point, this dude next to me decides to do something tacky and flex while admiring himself in the mirror. He was working out solo, as was I….so I had no idea who he was speaking to when he began his imitation of pro wrestler Ric “Nature Boy” Flair. He just decides to yell out (to no one in particular) “WOOOOOOO!!!!! I’M STYLIN’ and PROFILIN’ !!!!!” I found this amusing. I think I’ll WOOOOO from time to time, just for S’s and G’s.
- RUN – I hopped on to a dreadmill in the weight room and completed 30 minutes of intervals. 1 minute slow followed by 1 minute sprint. My 1 minute sprints started at a 10 min pace and I finished up at my Boston Qualifying pace (7:13). Almost heaved all over my Asics during the last minute. Decided not to WOOOOO, because a WOOOO may have gotten messy.
- BIKE – 6:30pm spin class is awesome. I felt burnt out from the work thus far, but the music and the instructor can be a rush just when you need it. Oh I WOOOO’d. I even got others to WOOOOO along with me.
- RUN – I was a sweaty disgusting mess from the class, but I hopped back onto a dreadmill for two slow miles. My legs felt like crap and my shoulders were a little sore from the weights. So I now have a little taste of what the beginning marathon miles of the IRONMAN will feel like. On the THIS SUCKS Scale of 1-10, this was an 8.776 (the French judge decided to use decimals).
Totals to Date:
Swim – ___ yds
Bike – 21 miles
Run – 5 miles
Strength Training – 30 minutes
Cross Training (Classes) – ___ hours
Yoga (yes- yoga. That’s not a damn typo) – ___ hours